Saturday, February 2, 2019

Digital learning problems - C is for Celebration of Learning

Good morning, colleagues! A year ago I posted a popular column titled "The A-Z problems of digital learning." One thing that I thought would be effective this year is to break down solutions for each of these issues. This week, I'm going to talk about "C": Celebration of learning.

When you celebrate your students' learning, I feel like it's pretty personal to you as a teacher and to your classroom. I am introverted, so being big and showy just wasn't in my nature. Students usually knew if I gave them any praise that it was a big deal! A little bit of recognition isn't enough either. How can you provide more for your students in the digital age?

Write a note. This one is pretty standard - sending a note home about how a student is doing in your class. This has existed as long as I've been in school (which is going on 30 some years, lol). If you want to "up your game" with sending a note home, send it through the mail! That's a pleasant surprise for both parents and your student! If you are incredibly busy and overwhelmed, an e-mail home works just as well.

Classroom assembly. I've found that whole school assemblies aren't super useful (unless it's a pep rally), so classroom assemblies work much better. You can set aside a time once a week, month, or quarter to give students kudos for their works. If you want to provide a certificate or small treat, that's up to you. Giving students high praise with extraordinary, meaningful words is often good enough.

Share on Twitter, YouTube, or your website. We ARE in the digital age so it can be just as beneficial to give your students digital kudos. I will tweet about how my students are doing or something exciting that I see in my classroom which I then display in my classroom. My students make video projects all of the time, so I share everything that they do on YouTube. We then watch their videos in class as a shout-out to the great work that they did. If you ever have a student project that is absolutely amazing, I would encourage you to share their work on your website or digital portfolio. As long as you continue to teach that unit, their assignment is displayed as the exemplary work. That's pretty powerful for a kid!

Have students guest write on your blog. I haven't done this (yet), but students are often willing to talk about themselves. If you have a student who produces excellent work, have them share their work and reflect upon it on your blog. Maybe only teachers read your blog, but they're likely to leave great comments that you can show your student. Your other students may want to read and comment on the blog post as well.

Let students "graffiti" your whiteboard. There are some reasons to have students "graffiti" your whiteboard. Is it a student's birthday? Was a student out sick for a while and recently returned? A couple of years ago, I was out sick for three or four days. When I returned, my student teacher had the students write welcome back messages. It was so meaningful! When I taught high school in Arizona, I had a class that needed some teambuilding work. I had them pair up and find something they had in common. They then had to write on the board their names and what they had in common. The kids loved getting to see their names on the board and what they wrote. It's a simple, yet powerful way to applaud learning (or just to celebrate).

I hope you find these ideas practical for your digital classroom. Making kids feel intelligent and powerful can go a long way with building relationships!

Thanks for reading! I'll see you next week :)

- Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment